2 cups rice; washed and soaked in water
1 chicken, skinned and cut into 8-10 pieces
1 lemon; juiced
3-4 cloves garlic; minced
2 inch piece of ginger; grated
2-3 green chillies; minced
1 teaspoon salt
4 small potatoes; peeled and cut into halves
4 tablespoons oil
2 inch stick cinnamon
3 pods cardamom
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large onion; chopped finely
2 large tomatoes; peeled and blended
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
4 cups chicken stock or water
1 heaped teaspoon salt
1 onion; cut into rings
pinch of salt
- Place the chicken in a bowl and add lemon juice, garlic, ginger, chillies and salt, mix and marinate overnight or at least 2 hours.
- Place 1 tablespoon of oil in saucepan (large enough for all the chicken and rice) and saute the potatoes, remove and leave aside.
- Place 1 tablespoon of oil and fry the onion to be used for garnish and leave aside (optional)
- Place 2 tablespoon of oil in the saucepan, add the cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, peppercorns and cumin seeds, as soon as they pop add the chopped onion, fry until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, mix and cook for 5-6 minutes, add the yogurt, cumin and coriander powders, mix and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken, mix, until the chicken is coated with the tomato and onion sauce. Cook for about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, chicken stock/water, salt and drained rice, bring to boil and then cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes. Place on a serving dish and garnish with the fried onions.