Friday, 13 May 2011
Guvar Dokhli nu Shaak / Cluster Beans with Dumplings
This Gujarati recipe is delicious. It is unusual in that the vaghar / tempering spices include ajwain and hing and no mustard seeds or cumin seeds. Tastes amazing, the dokhli / dumplings make it a almost complete meal.
For Dokhli / Dumplings
1 tablespoon chickpea / besan flour
1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
¼ teaspoon red chili powder
½ teaspoon coriander and cumin powder
A pinch ajwain
A pinch hing / asafetida
A pinch Sodium bicarbonate or baking powder
2 teaspoon oil
2 cups guvar / cluster beans; toped and tailed (replace with green beans)
1 tablespoon oil
2-3 Green chilies
1 pinch hing / asafetida
¼ teaspoon ajwain
1 cup water
½ teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon coriander and cumin powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons gur / jaggery or brown sugar
Dohkli / Dumplings
1. Mix all the dry ingredients, add the oil and mix until you get a breadcrumb like texture
2. Add enough water to make a firm dough
3. Make marble size balls and flatten into coin-like discs, place on a tray for later.
1. Heat the oil in a wide pan, add the green chillies, ajwain and hing, as soon as they pop, add the water (carefully)
2. Add the red chili, cumin and coriander, and turmeric powders.
3. Add the guvar beans, gently place the dokhli / dumplings and cover the pan. Simmer for for about 20 minutes, add the gur / jaggery, mix and serve.