Sunday 18 November 2007

Shami Kebab

Think spice for this month is GINGER; my favourite spice, I always have lots of ginger in my carrot and apple smoothie – yummmmmm.
This event is hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s World. What a great series it has been!
A Shammi Kebab is a burger made from chana dal and meat (can be beef, lamb or chicken), these spicy kebabs are of Mughal origin, common throughout the Indian subcontinent. The version I am giving you is an Ismaili or Khoja one with lots of ginger.


Ingredients
1 lb cooked boneless lamb / beef / chicken
1 tbl spoon grated ginger
4-5 cloves garlic; minced
1 400gm Can of Chick peas drained
1 Eggs
3-4 green chillies;
6 stems coriander leaves (2 tblspn)
3 stems mint leaves (1 tblspn)
1 Lime; juiced
¼ tspn Garam masala
Method
  1. Place all the ingredients in a food processer and grind, not too smooth leave it slightly chunky.
  2. Mold the mixture in to burger like patties about 1/4" thick and 2" in diameter. Place on a greased baking tray, and bake in a pre-heated oven to 350º F. 25 minutes.
You can shallow fry if you like
Serve with any chutney; I used a coriander, yogurt and coconut one.




Pics taken in wintertime suck!

13 comments:

musical said...

Oh, those are very appetizing pics, really! This is a cool entry for Think Ginger event!

FH said...

YUM YUM!! I wish I could grab a few.Delicious entry Saju. Loved date bars too. Great job!:))

Saju said...

Thanks Asha, today was my blog day, so I spent whole morning in the kitchen cooking. I took the goodies round to my brother and families house and we had them at teatime!

amna said...

a very popular dish in hyderabad. Great recipe :)

Roopa said...

lovely entry

Finla said...

Yum yum. I never knew that chick pea was added to it.
Looks delicious.

Rina said...

Saju I've tasted shami kebab recently. Didn't enjoy it so much . But this time will try your version. Thx for sharing.

sunita said...

Saju, you've made my day...I was thinking about kebabs for a while now, and here you whip them up...thanks.

Dori said...

Lamb and chickpeas together...now I know this is good!

Divya and Chaya said...

We are surely going to try this. happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Cynthia said...

The cutlets look perfect!

Unknown said...

Hi, I just stumbled upon your blog by chance when searching for a mung dal recipe (I'll post on that link separately)..I was wondering, what does it mean to dry cook the meat? I'm new at cooking and would love to try this recipe but don't understand how the lamb is supposed to be cooked. Thank you =)

chachi said...

just cook the meat in it's own juices, without any water or oil

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL RECIPES ARE THE ORIGINAL CREATION OF CHACHI'S KITCHEN. ALL PHOTOS BY CHACHI'S KITCHEN. PLEASE DO NOT POST OR PUBLISH WITHOUT CITING. CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS: CHACHISKITCHEN (AT) GMAIL (DOT) COM.