Sunday 11 November 2007

Bateta jo Shaak / Spicy Potatoes in Tomato Sauce

I just realised, this is my 201st post!
And Chachi's Kitchen will be 1 year old on 13th November more importantly:
Chachi (my mom and rasoi teacher) will be 75 on the 27th of November. So get ready for some celebratory recipes.

12 small new potatoes; quartered (leave the skins on)
1 tblspn oil
½ tspn cumin seeds
½ tspn mustard seeds
3 large tomatoes; blanched, peeled and crushed
2-3 cloves garlic; crushed
1 ½ inch ginger; grated
2-3 green chillies; chopped fine
¼ tspn tumeric
2 tspn coriander / cumin powders
salt to taste
Coriander leaves and stem; chopped

  1. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the cumin and mustard seeds. As soon as the pop, the potatoes, fry them until they are almost cooked
  2. Add the tomatoes, cook for a few minutes, add the garlic, ginger and chillies, mix and cook for a further 5 minutes, add the salt, tumeric, coriander and cumin powders, mix and cook until the potatoes are cooked.
  3. Garnish with the chopped coriander
  4. Serve with hot puries

14 comments:

Kalva said...

yes looks spicy!

Dori said...

congratulations on all the great posts and the anniversary!!! I will be looking forward to seeing all the great dishes for this next year :) These potatoes look great!

musical said...

Yay! The celebration is in the air :). Congrats on the blog anniversary and the double century, plus wish your Mom a very happy B'day on my behalf :). The aloo bhaji looks absolutely yummy!

I am glued for the celebration recipes :).

FH said...

Congratulations and happy happy birthday to Chachi/mom!!:))
Looking forward to all te goodies and good news.Aloo shaak looks delicious, great color.

Namratha said...

Looks yummy Saju, great combo with the puris! :)

Raks said...

Congrats on your 201 post!!Thats really a milestone!!!!!

Seena said...

So tempting dish,Saju..
would love to get a little now..

Cynthia said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to see the things you cook up for these celebrations!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Congrats for tempting us with all your wonderful posts over the past while! I have never met a potato I didn't like so thereofre these will be added to my evergrowing list!!

Saju said...

thanks for that Valli, welcome to my blog and thanks for showing me the way to yours.

Saju said...

Thanks everyone, we have such a great community here, I love all your blogs

Al said...

Love this blog. It has now become my first "go to" site if I am looking for an Indian recipe with an African twist (I was born in Tanzania).
This recipe is great, but what I was really looking for was something we used to call "Cirio wara bateta". Cirio used to be the brand name for tomato puree (or tomato paste as they call it here in the US). If you can dig that up, it would be fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

I came across this website by googling for Guvar salaan recp. Who knew I would not only find a great recp but it will also be on an ismaili/khoja style!! :) I recentlly got married and my mom is miles away and I not just miss her but I miss her great cooking :( Thank you for having this great website up!!

oh and I never write any blog or comments, this is my first time ever writing a blog!!!

Anonymous said...

looks yummy ......!!!
I love dis potatoes

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL RECIPES ARE THE ORIGINAL CREATION OF CHACHI'S KITCHEN. ALL PHOTOS BY CHACHI'S KITCHEN. PLEASE DO NOT POST OR PUBLISH WITHOUT CITING. CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS: CHACHISKITCHEN (AT) GMAIL (DOT) COM.