Sunday 14 October 2007

Seviyan / Sweet Vermicelli

It was Eid yesterday, and we had the traditional Seviyan and papad for breakfast. This is my entry for Sunita's Think Spice Event. This month is is Saffron.



Ingredients
2 tablespoon ghee / butter (can be omited to make for a healthier option; just dry roast)
200gm roasted vermicelli
1 1/2 cup hot water (milk can be used)
1/4 teaspoon saffron; soaked in hot water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoon golden raisons
½ cup sliced almonds
¼ cup sliced pistachios
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom



1. Heat the ghee in a large saucepan, add the vermicelli and fry until golden brown.
2. Add the water and the saffron, mix and cook for a few minuites
3. Add the sugar, raisons, nuts and cardamom.
4. Turn the heat down and cook for a further 15 minutes.
5. All the liquid should be absorbed.

Traditionally seviyan is served with spicy papad or papadom
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

sunita said...

Lovely dessert...hope you enjoyed the celebrations...btw, I wouldn't mind entering the biryani for the event as well.

Rina said...

Please send me the plate. Can't wait to cook and try it. Lovely step by step presentation. My grand mother always used to make this. Thanks for rekindling those memories. I ran out of vermicelli in my pantry. should run to the Indian Super market to get loads of them and celebrate this dessert.

musical said...

Slurp! Looks really yummy!

Finla said...

Delicious dessert.

bee said...

eid mubarak to you and your family, saju.

Dori said...

I love your pictures all the way through...it makes this dish look so pretty...It's such a great color!

Sharmi said...

hey my belated Eid wishes to you and your family! very nice looking seviyan. Enjoy:)

KayKat said...

That's a great series of pictures - I can see the seviyan being made :)

Tasty!

Swaruchy said...

Eid mubarak Saju.......wow...i always loved this dish.....from childhood ....when we were at hyd....many of our muslim friends would offer this......i am a great fan of this dish..........feeling nostalgic now...:-)

Sana said...

Eid Mubarak Sajeda.
I made the traditional sheer kurma for Eid :)

Anonymous said...

Eid mubarak Saju
lovely biryani i cooked mine with beef almost the same receipe i also cooked for 2200 for poeple for jk in toronto every body enjoyed Almas

Saju said...

Almas, Eid Mubarak to you.
did you say you cooked for 2,200?
wow, I think I am cooking for a lot when I cook 6 cups of rice!!
I would love to see your recipe - you should have a blog

Radhika said...

As a kid I used to love the saviyan my friend's mom would make on Eid. I tried your recipe and it tastes exactly the same! Thank you so much! xoxo

Nazma said...

Sajeda: EID MUBARKAK TO YOU & YOUR BELOVED CHACHI & FAMILY.
For eid I made seviyah your style, came out amzaing - thank you so much.

Unknown said...

Really great stuff. I like your pictures.

Pakistani food recipes Urdu

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL RECIPES ARE THE ORIGINAL CREATION OF CHACHI'S KITCHEN. ALL PHOTOS BY CHACHI'S KITCHEN. PLEASE DO NOT POST OR PUBLISH WITHOUT CITING. CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS: CHACHISKITCHEN (AT) GMAIL (DOT) COM.